Monday 23 July 2012

Shakespeare Marathon- 29 April 2012


I was so excited to do the Shakespeare Marathon. I trained hard with the Dusty and felt that I was ready to accept the challenge. It was really rainy around that time but I was up for the challenge. Right before I got there I started thinking, ‘can I do this?’ The organisers had to cancel the full marathon because it was 40 mile winds with 60 mile gusts and it was raining nonstop. I have to admit I got really upset. I had given up such a large chunk of my time running longer and harder than I have ever done before for this day and they wouldn’t let us do it. I understand why they wouldn’t as I think everyone would have had hypothermia but still I have been waiting for this day come for months.

I did run the half though in 1:48 which was not bad based on the conditions. I first tried to avoid the puddles but one time I couldn’t because there were people in the way so I just kept running through the rest of them. I was freezing by the end but I did it!

I have to pay a tribute to my hubby because he stood out in the rain waiting for me to finish and was as wet as I was by the end. Luckily for him, his mate gave in an umbrella as a gift for being an usher in his wedding to use while he waits for me to finish.

The Shakespeare Marathon is a circular marathon consisting of two laps. It starts in the centre of Stratford-Upon-Avon and runs through the countryside. It is very picturesque and is the first marathon for quite a few people I know. If it had been better weather it would have been mine too and unfortunately I didn't have any weekends free straight after that to do another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment