Monday 30 July 2012

I am Spartan tough!

This weekend after a very late night at the Amazing Alison's Wedding, I went to part take in the Spartan Sprint. I always thought that I didn't like to get dirty. Running through the long muddy puddles makes up for all of the time your mom told you not to!

I liked this event because its a whole different sort of athlete than I have experienced with all the other challenges that I been a part of. It was nice because with running it is a very one directional sport but it was nice to have a break with an obstacle to vary the activity so if you are the kind of person who hates to run, I think you might like this because it is not just running. But if you feel really challenged by running, I suggest get some miles under your belt first.

The other reason why I like this event was because I am in contact with a lovely group of runners but I hardly see them except for events like this. They belong to the RAF Running Group and the forum they are in is so motivating. From the last time I saw them which was at the Cambridge Half Marathon, they have all achieved a lot and I had to tell them that!

The 7k race itself was very interesting. We ran up and down hills, crawled (or if you were lazy like me rolled) under barbed wire, climbed ropes, did a million burpees, carried sacks up and down hills, ran through mud, and walked through a 400 meter sewage pipe in the dark! A lady behind me who was claustrophobic keep her hand on my hand for reassurance and some of the guys from base started singing which was good because they had nice voices and made the time go by. We jumped over fire and belly crawled through ice to avoid an electrical shock.I did freeze trying to figure a way to get through without a shock and other people just dived in, I think they were wondering why I hesitated and when they touched the lines, they found out why! I made it through without a shock though!

To my surprise, I really enjoyed it. I thought I would not like to get dirty but it wasn't that bad and after my shoes got soaked I forgot all about it. I wish that I had brought gloves, worn longer shorts (no one like rope burn on the inside of your legs) and had a team like the RAF Running group to join me but it was still great! I did try to motivate people who looked like they were struggling as I had my Garmin on so I knew how far we had gone. Everyone was very encouraging like teammates would be.

I am not sure if I would do this again but if I do, I need to work on my upper body strength so I can climb the rope (and can avoid more burpees!). I am also writing this the day after covered in bruises and a sore bum but proud of them so maybe its too soon to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment