Monday 23 July 2012

Cambridge Half Marathon- 11 March 2012

Sweaty Betty Running Club
When I heard that Cambridge was getting a half marathon, I had to be one of the first ones to sign for it! I knew many of the girls I met through Sweaty Betty would be taking part, knowing people in the events that you do sure do make a difference.

For this half marathon I wanted to push myself and rely on what I knew about my body. I had a cramp and other issues during the Run to the Beat Half Marathon due to trying things from other people’s suggestions last minute rather than sticking with what I know. I know that not everything works for everyone and one of the key things about running is you have to know your own body and whilst everyone's tips are good to hear in the end you need to trust your instincts. I don't do well with eating before I run but I have been able to give myself a spoonful of honey about an hour before. I have tired eating well before but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. Another key tip is do not do anything different on the day that you have not done in your training that is when you should try new things.

The Cambridge Half Marathon was well organised and very scenic going through the city centre of Cambridge and most of it I run anyways so I felt comfortable with the route. The only thing I didn’t like was the fact that it looped around twice so you had to run the same bits again. Sometimes I think this is a plus and a minus. The positive side, you know where you are going and what is coming up. On the negative side it can feel dull and boring because you have been there before. I was shooting for 1:45 for my time and was very excited about my 1:45:36 time! So all the training and listening to myself paid off!

Cambridge Half Marathon is scheduled for 10 March 2013. I hope to see you there!

Me, Jenn and Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment