Wednesday 18 July 2012

Do I really want to run a marathon? Or am I over running?

Here is the thing, I did at one time. I trained up for it and got there on the day but there was 40 mile winds with 60 mile gusts and rain. The organizers cancelled the full marathon but allowed us to run the half. For a moment I was upset, I had spent all this time on the weekends and in the mornings to push myself to be able to get to the 26.2 mile finish line. Otherwise I never needed to run farther than 13.1 miles. It was nice training to get out there with Dusty running through the parks of Cambridge, coming across other runners I know. I remember running 10 miles in -7C and snow (I also think I was hypothermic by the end and vaguely remember calling Jon to pick us up even thought we were a mile away (8 minutes 40 seconds to get home.)

I am already signed up for a half marathon in Peterborough on the 14th of October. Some of my running buddies have managed to start their training where I have only ran once since the half marathon and just can't seem to get the ump I need to get out there. Luckily for me, it is light when I get up so I might have to go back to rolling out of the bed and out for a run as I can't seem to be trusted to wait until 6 a.m. rolls around and get myself out of the door.

I have been looking at another marathon in October but don't want to put in the time to train again and then end up not being able to do it. I love to run but not that much and spending 3 hours running is a bit more than I want to commit in a day.

This is not to say that I am not active. I am still doing my daily bike ride to work and my crazy long distance ones too. I am also still involved the long distance walks which I think I enjoy because its a good chance to catchup. I think running with other people is more difficult because its hard to get a pace that suits everyone.

I am still working on my 538 mile challenge for Help for Heroes and I am at my 331.1 mile mark.

I am hoping I will get over this slump and decide how important a marathon means to me because I am not getting any younger!

No comments:

Post a Comment