Monday 3 December 2012

Running just because you love it

I have to be honest, running has been the last thing on my mind since the marathon. I have gone out at lunch time to run with DT a couple of times and I am hoping that will continue. I think he likes to run with me because when we sprint the 100 metre straight, he always beats me. Its nice to be able to take a break in the middle of the work day and go out for a run especially once he explained how to work an electric shower so I could have a hot shower.

When I was just starting to train for the Shakespeare Marathon and I think just completed my first half, Andy Clarke, my friend Hannah's husband and barefoot running fanatic, told me that he just loved to run not for a particular distance or time, just went out there and did it. I thought that that's crazy especially coming from him as he is a bit over the top with his running as way, I think he has more pairs of running shoes than most women have in heels.

But now I understand what Andy means. When I first started running repetitively and without a PT test to 'motivate' me was when I separated from the USAF, it was great way for me to keep my mind and body busy, me to maintain a schedule until I found a job and keep healthy. Then I started losing weight and deciding to extend my distances. I moved to Cambridge got a puppy to accompany me on my morning runs and for whatever reason I started to decide to move on from my 5k and 10k to half and full marathons.

Through this experience, especially after the cancellation of my first marathon due to weather and the thought of building all of the miles to have that happen again, my heart wasn't in it. I can't complain too much as the time I finished in a really good time, especially for my first marathon but if I had out in the training I did for the first one I would have been well under the four hour mark.

But what has all of this running taught me? I am crazy like Andy. I just like to run, some days its 3 miles and others its 10 miles but I do just like to run for the sake of running. I don't like to have my running to be dictated by some running plan. I like it to be fluid to suit my lifestyle not to be my life. I want to be able to do the other things that I love and spend time with my friends who do not show the affinity for running but do share my other interests. I find I like to run alone mostly but like to do long-distance walking and cycling with others. Its where I go to think things through and studies have shown that its increases the bloodflow to the brain and it does increase brain activity (so my great ideas are because of it), it boosts memory, growth of grey matter and reduces stress.

So I think I am going to be like Andy and start to run (again) because I love it, not for the distance or the goal but its because its something I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment