Friday 19 October 2012

Mindful Running

I am doing a workshop in Mindful Thinking and during the course, it dawned on me that the principles can work for running too and I usually end up doing this especially on my long runs (I think I even used them on the Great Barrow Challenge).

I started to do this when I started running without music.

I started to focus on:

My breathe:
  • Was it too hard
  • Was it forced?
  • Do I need to get a rhythm?
My physical wellbeing:
  • Is it too hard?
  • Is it hard enough?
  • Does anything hurt?
  • If so, what kind of pain is it?
  • Does it hurt because I am running?
  • Does it hurt because I am injured?
 My thoughts:
  • Am I being positive?
  • Am I getting in the way of my performance?
  •  Am I paying attention to this run?
My emotions:
  • How do I feel about this run?
  • Does this mean to me?
I know what you are thinking, a bit deep when its only a run, but I think that it is the only time that I find that I am in the moment and fully concentrating on the task at hand. I hope to use the tools that I learn to apply it to other areas in my life  as we only have one life to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment