Saturday 15 December 2012

Great Yarmouth Marathon- Mission Complete!

I ran my first and probably my last marathon on Sunday. If you have been following my blog, then you know I originally signed up for the Shakespeare one but it was cancelled due to the weather. I hummed and hahhed about whether I should sign up for another and questioned if I really wanted to. In the end, I decided I did want to do one but I was unwilling to commit the same amount of time in case the same thing happened.

The marathon I choose was the Great Yarmouth marathon, a one off to celebrate the running club's 25th anniversary. I thought that this would be a good one for couple of reasons, it wasn't too far to drive and the course was flat.

I have to admit my training took a huge hit after the first marathon. I had other things on and I just could not bare to think about running for hours on end by myself and get there to find that it was cancelled. I was also busy with my walks and cycling events so I was still cross training. The last couple of weeks, I made sure I hit the long runs and when I was in training it was good but I had never run farther than 20 miles before.

I was kind of nervous before the start but I walked 4 marathons in a row a few months ago so I knew I could keep moving and that was my main goal. I wanted to make it under 4 hours but the coast is known for being windy and rainy and funnily enough it was just like the weather of the Shakespeare marathon. I was doing really good until I stopped for a potty break around 18 miles and then after 20 miles I just ran/walked it until I got to about 24.5 miles and then I told myself I needed to keep moving to the end then about 200m out I sprinted as hard as I could and finished. It was a few minutes off my target time but I have never ran that far before, the weather was not favorable, and I did it!

I am happy I did a marathon but not sure if I will do another one. I have other things I would like to do and can't really commit the time to training but I will continue running.

No comments:

Post a Comment