Wednesday 28 December 2011

Great Barrow Christmas Challenge 26.2 miles

Yesterday Jane and I took part in the Great Barrow Christmas Challenge 26.2 miles. We walked with a lovely woman, Joyce, who Jane walked with a lot during her 4 day marathon. We had seen her in previous events and is a really fast walker.

I was dreading the weather as I was certain that it was going to be very cold. so I layers up with tights under my Sweaty Betty leggings and two pairs of walking socks. On top I wore two Sweaty Betty bamboo tops and my Help for Heroes Vest. I had a down gilet, a scarf and my Sweaty Betty ear warmer that Jon gave me for Christmas.

The weather ended up being really nice for December. We had a clear day and nearly no wind. The route that we did, I always find the hardest one. It was the route that I sprained both my ankles during my first Barrow Walk. We walk over the sugar beet fields and along roads. We were very fortunate as the fields were not too muddy from the storms we have had in previous days. I took us 8 hours to do the route.

Somewhere around 8 miles in, my hip started to hurt. I think I may have knocked something in the fall on my bike and the distance exasperated it. I kept rubbing it but it just wouldn't go away. The faster we walked the better it felt but by the time I got home, I could barely walk or balance on the leg and sitting was really uncomfortable. I took a shower and had dinner and went to bed. This morning when I woke up, I was not sure how it would feel but it seems okay. A lot better than last night. I think I will have to keep an eye on this and go to the doctor if it causes me any more difficulty.

Well I have completed 33.9 of my 538 miles.

You can follow my progress on my 538 Miles for Help for Heroes Face Book Page.

You can sponsor me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment