Sunday 23 September 2012

4 weeks and counting

The good thing about the Great Barrow Challenge is that it gives you plenty of time to think. The bad thing about the Great Barrow Challenge is that it gives you plenty of time to think. So I have decided to be my own best enemy rather than my worst.

Over the past few days I have seen runners (many were members of the 100 marathon club) pass me day after day after day after day. I just couldn't imagine running one marathon, let alone four in a row. Then it dawned on me, I am running my very first marathon in four weeks from today.

I was lucky enough to meet a few of the runners that chatted with me, gave me some advice and praised me for walking a marathon four days in a row. They said that running one will be no problem as I have shown that I have endurance. One of them are also taking part in the Great Yarmouth marathon and is aiming for the same time as me and said I could run with him a bit or chase him depending how it goes.

I can do this. I know I haven't stuck to my training plan as I did when I was training for the Shakespeare Marathon but when I have gone for my training runs I have been able to maintain my target pace and have felt great. I have also been cross training with cycling events and the Great Barrow Challenge. So I am fit enough to do this.

I have four weeks to be faithful to my training plan because I only have two long runs, my half and then the big day! That is obtainable!

Taking part in the Great Barrow Challenge has renewed my motivation for this upcoming marathon. Dusty and I have 28 days to start getting serious about our morning runs before D-day and I hope to get on it tomorrow depending upon the condition of my foot. I wonder what they would say if I showed up to work in sneakers because of a swollen foot...

No comments:

Post a Comment